Do Silkie cockerels have spurs???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jkl79, Jun 4, 2008.

1. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    I am trying to sex my two, 5 month old silkies and am so confused. I think they're something different every day! Neither of the birds have spurs and don't even seem to have little spur buds. Do Silkie cockerels/roos generally have spurs? Please help!

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Mine have very small ones. The way you could tell at 5 months is by the feather streamers coming out of the back of the head.

3. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    Neither seem to have streamers starting but one does have large-ish wattles and a larger comb. I'm so frustrated!

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    If you see waddles or comb, you have a roo. None of my girls have combs or waddles.

5. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    Any comb at all means a roo? One seems to be a pullet but does have a small comb. It looks like I need to post some pictures! Thanks for your help!

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Here's my roo..... you can see how big and plump his comb is and how his head feathers lean back instead of up and out....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The females (I don't have one or I'd post a pic) have poofier heads and smaller combs.

7. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    Thanks for the pic! Does your roo have spurs or the beginnings of them? Pretty sure I've got one roo and one hen. Maybe I'll be hatching out my own buff silkie chicks in the next few months? [​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Our silkie roo didn't get spurs until he was almost a year old. And even then they were barely 1/2 an inch long. But he was wicked at flogging due to the 5 toes and strong wings. He lives on a farm now...

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Smaller than the smallest thorn on a rose bush [​IMG] Barely more of anything than what my pullet has.... though, they are pokey instead of smooth.

10. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    Thanks for your input! I love you photographs. I too am becoming addicted to these fluffy babies (all breeds!) much to my husband's dismay. There's only so much room in the backyard after all! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by