1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Silkie roos crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloomnbeauty, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I know.. stupid question. [​IMG] I have other roos that seem to crow at any time of day, but I have never heard my Silkies crow. If so how old are they when they start?

2. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Yes, I can assure you that Silkie roos do crow. In fact, some of mine are crowing as I type. If they are young and you have older roosters, it may take them a bit longer to begin crowing. It seems like (here anyway) if older roosters are crowing, the younger ones have to work up their nerve a bit before announcing that there is a new roo in town. Since Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex, are you sure you have boys? If you do, they'll soon be just as noisy as your other guys.

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkies crow before they finish feathering out, their tail feathers are usually 1/2 grown when they start to crow~ if thats the sound you wish to call it!!! so funny.
    If your silky roo has other roos around especially standard size, he may be a bit embarrased or shy to start.
    Good luck!

4. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    My Silkies are 12 weeks old and just now getting their tail feathers. The roos are getting bigger combs and wattles and seem to be a bit larger than the hens. I have one hen that is about 6 months old. At what age do they usually start laying?
    They are separate from the rest of my flock also.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi , It depends on the time of year where you are as to when they will start laying. If its not too cols, she should start very soon, perhaps try putting an egg in her nesting box to give her ideas!!
    Your little roos should have longer tail feathers than the girls and they will also be more confident out in the open and if you have 2 roos, they will start fighting.
    I used to throw a hat above them all like a frisbee.
    The girls would run for cover and the boys would stand there and check it out. Thats my silky sexing trick!!

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It all depends on there age, some crow younger than others. Also if you have older roosters in with them they could take longer by they know the arent top roos. I have a silkie that is 8 months and just started crowing !!

7. They are prolific at crowing !!

8. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yes, mine starts crowing after 5 months. He started soft and now he sounds like a big rooster.
    Our sweet little silkie was sweet but now he is acting mean. [​IMG]
    I bought her as a hen but now she turnes out to be a rooster. [​IMG]
    Crowing is OK but not the whole time [​IMG]

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine were all late bloomers - they were 5 or 6 months old before they started and they don't crow that often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by