1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do silkie roosters make alot of noise???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast, Jun 19, 2011.

1. MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast

MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    i can only get them in straight run and i really would like to keep all of them but the noise usual roosters make would be really bothersome to my neighbors, and they might complain [​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm not sure but I hope not since I have one with my silkies hens got them threw straight run got 3 females and one male with luck.

3. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have had a few. One was REALLY loud. The one I have now though is pretty quiet. I think it just varies from bird to bird.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I don't keep a rooster, but interestingly, went to the annual Blueberry Festival in Burgaw, NC yesterday (about an hour's drive from me). Stopped at a consignment shop on the way home, just outside Burgaw. In front they had several silkie hens and a silkie rooster. All were white & beautiful. At first, we didn't notice the pen. When we got out of car, we heard an incessant crowing. I asked my husband where it was coming from. He said it must be some motion-activated warning sound (as in "You've got customers!") because the sound was so repetitive and tinny-sounding. But, sure 'nuf-- there was that beautiful silkie rooster making all that racket in the middle of the day. (I did ask the store owner to confirm they were silkies, since I don't have any exhibition hens.)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

It varies among individuals. No way to tell. Generally speaking, roosters are loudest when competing with other rooster (Meaning, the more roosters you have, the more crowing will be heard).

6. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Roosters in general vary.

If you only have one roo, it won't crow as much. Crowing is a territorial/"I'm top dog" kind of thing. If they have no rival, they will only crow occasionally.

7. MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast

MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Thanks for all your replies [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by