Do silkies always go broody in November?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Leah-yes I know I'm crazy, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Murphy's law strikes.
    My silkie has been sitting in the same spot on no eggs for four days now. Until recently she laid eggs in the nesting box right along with the others then 2wks ago started leaving them on the floor of the coop. Good or bad I have been collecting them. The only roo I have is rir so I never thought of hatching any of her eggs. Now for the last 4 days no eggs but she continues to sit. Growls at me when I come in the coop, and when I moved her to check that she was o'kay (not just sitting there because she was sick or injured) she pecked the daylights out of me and flapped her wings and tried to claw me. This is the same bird that will jump onto my lap for a spaghetti noodle. So today I took 3 bo x rir eggs warm from the nest and threw them under her. She pecked me in the process. Anyone want to speculate on what the outcome will be?

btw- I just spent 2 wks building a bator and was planning on trying to hatch eggs between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Is this supposed to be devine proof not to mess with Mother Nature?

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    3 of silkies are broody... it happens... they don't care when. Mine let me pick them up though and don't care when I got moving them around.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Silkies just started laying but I bet it won't be long until they decide to set on a some eggs. I haven't anything right now that I want to hatch out though.
    I do have an Araucana sitting on 2 eggs due to hatch day after tomorrow. I am not sure they are going to but we shall see. They don't slosh so I believe they at least started developing.
    Can't wait till next spring when i do want to hatch out egg so my Silkies can do their job with lots of different breeds.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have one right now that sat on a golf ball for a week before I gave in and gave her some eggs. She squawks 'GO AWAY' when me or any other chicken gets too close!! And she is only part silkie! She is not that tame, but will eat scratch feed out of my hand most times. Now I have my dad check her eggs if I miss her when she's off. I like to keep my skin intact, and she surely is a pecker!

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Thats silkies for ya....its what they do. Half of mine are broody at any time. Seems there broody more than not. Give them some eggs and let them go to work. LOL

6. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    If you give a broody silkie 1 egg will she lay on it? I know that some birds won't unless there's a full clutch.

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    she sure will! They will sit on NOTHING! You could give them anything that even remotely looks like an egg and they will sit on it. There hatching machines! [​IMG]

8. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Leah, have you gotten my 2 pms?

9. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Quote:That's awesome [​IMG] One more reason why I want silkies!

10. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Well it seems to have worked. She has the three eggs I gave her tucked nice and tight under her and I'm not going to mess with her again for at least a week. When I let the other girls out of the coop at noon I will put food and water in front of her and drop a brooder shield around her. I found a pic in an old chicken book that showed a really easy way to make one. Here we go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by