1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do silkies always have poopy butts?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rughooker, Jul 30, 2008.

1. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I saw some silkies at a county fair yesterday and some had very dirty behinds. Is is because they're so fluffy? It's bad enough cleaning a dog or cat once in awhile-- now chickens? [​IMG] [​IMG] rughooker

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

My friend raises silkies (mine are still in egg in incubator) but she said that hers never get messy. It may be from being at the fair and getting nervous with people all around them.

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I have almost 30 silkies, and none of mine ever get "poopy butts". I agree that it is probably because they are nervous. Mine keep themselves very clean.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My 3 Silkies have never had icky bottoms. It must just be nerves for those poor Silkies at the fair. Bless their hearts. [​IMG]

5. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I agree with all those above. We did have one silkie roo who sometimes required a butt-trimmin' though. [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Butt trimming is great.

7. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I have a very furry australian shepherd who require butt trimmin's too, if your interrested. Come on over.

8. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I've never seen any "poopy butt" on Titania ...now Oberon, the Sizzle, occasionally needs a little help with his bathroom manners [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by