Do Silkies crow later than other breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by johnsons-r-us, Oct 19, 2011.

1. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I have a white silky that hatched last May. I was told by everyone he was a cockerel. My question is how long does it take for a silky to crow? I have a RIR boy that has been crowing for months that is only about a month older. I have an OEGB boy that is the same age as the silky and he has been crowing nearly as long as the RIR. Sooooooo are silkies slower at crowing or could I have a pullet? And if he is a pullet would she lay white eggs because he is white? None of my girls lay white eggs so I guess I would know if he/she did lay a white egg.

At night in the coop this silky is snuggled up with the other roo and girls. The oegb is by himself.....so that makes me wonder if the silky is a boy after all? I would lOVE it if he was a she....just how long do I have to wait to be sure? [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My silkies lay off white/cream colored eggs. I have 2 mixed breed roos who were hatched in June who haven't crowed yet. I know they can because I've heard them one time, but they don't. If you have other roos your silkie may be at the bottom of the roo pecking order and not crow, might just be a late bloomer, or possibly be a pullet. Do you have any pictures?

3. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

This was taken a few months ago.....and he was dirty! He likes to go under our deck sometimes and it's muddy! [​IMG] He looks the same now, just bigger. If he is a roo he is at the bottom of the the 3, but he is not the bottom of the flock...there is at least one pullet that is definitely at the bottom.

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    My White Silkie was hatched Aug 1st and he's been crowing (not as frequently as the Quail D'Anver) for a couple of weeks now. Sounds like a broken Kazoo.

5. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

I've heard him make some noise a couple of weeks ago...though maybe it was a goose or something. We don't have any other poultry but have a huge flock of wild geese that frequent a large pond 1/2 mile away. Other than that he doesn't make any noises.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by