do silkies do good in cold weather?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenman98, Jun 19, 2010.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    i am wanting some silkies but i was wondering if they do ok in cold weather. i live in eastern oklahoma so if any one knows if it would be to cold for them here please post.
    THANKS,
    Ryan

2. BetsyOK

BetsyOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Near Tulsa
    Yes, they do. I live in NE Oklahoma--near Tulsa. Be sure to have coops they can go into at night. They don't need a lot of space in the coops, as they pile up.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I live in Virginia and winters are pretty cold here.Mine always did fine and my frizzle
    s too.I raised a pair of Serama's(first chicks I ever hatched) and they did well too.I had enclosed building's however for the smaller one's winter so...My first silkie hatched 12 young in Nov at 11 month's old and she only lost one so yes they are fairly cold hardy just make sure they have good wind proof protection at night.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

we live up here in NY, and never had any problems with the cold/snow/freezing rain/sleet.

5. HOUSE OF ROCK A DOODLE

HOUSE OF ROCK A DOODLE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    I live in New Hampshire and my silkie "Psycho" has done very well free ranging during the winter months somewhere I have a picture after the first snowfall of. the season and her head is completely covered in snow she dipped her head in the fluffy stuff. Its a really cute picture

6. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    We have very hot summers and last year had a very cold winter. The silkies seems as they did very well in the winter it is just extremly hot weather they have trouble with. Last year on some cold days some of my other breeds was trying to stay in because it was so cold and the silkie where out and walking around. They look like "whats the big deal".

7. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Quote:i live about an hour and a half from tulsa so i bet they would be ok. Thanks everyone!!!
    Ryan

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  8. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I live in Indiana, it gets very cold and snowy here in the winter. Silkies do fine, make sure you provide them with a draft free environment with good bedding and a heat source(heat lamp) for very cold nights. Even though they are not heavily feathered, like my cochins, they do just fine. They pile together for body heat at night to keep warm.

Shari

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by