1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do silkies do well with the rest of the flock? or will they always need special care?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LittleRedCoop53, Dec 23, 2012.

1. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I have two four month old silkies females (got as chicks) that i plan on introducing into my flock of five hens, i've been keeping them separate, yet, they can see one another. I just recently opened it where they are all together. They keep separate, with little interaction. When the flock goes off to roost into their coop, the silkies wait for me to come get them and put them in their pen.
    My question is will they figure it out that they are chickens and start roosting ? And at what age? i realize they are still just babies.. they still make 'peep' sounds. I have a nice little set up for them, but i just want one flock... Anybody else out there who has mixed flocks ? suggestions ? This is what they looked like at two months.. they are soooo cute....they're a little bigger now, but still act like babies... haha~ Thanks~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Silkies take a long time to mature, and may sleep on the floor even as adults. You might make a small roost for them down near floor level in a corner to help them get used to the roosting process.

3. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Silkies have no trouble with other chickens, especially if raised togather. That said, it's well that you are properly socializing them to the other chickens in a low stress way now. If they are having no trouble with the other chickens by day, thy should have no trouble at night either. As stated, they may or may not choose to roost now or ever, however if you want them to roost, start putting them where you want them at night, and stop putting them into their pens. Even though their feathers aren't tight, they should be just in cold weather, provided they have access to a relatively wind free environment.

How old are you other birds?

4. LittleRedCoop53

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Thank you for your reply...
    My other 5 hens are : 3(eastereggers) that are almost 2yrs, 1(banty) that is 3yrs, and 1(black austrolope/J- giant?)that is 8months. :) I need to make some adjustments to the coop (a ramp) because i don't think they can fly up into it like the others.
    The banty has been a little mean from time to time so has the 8month old aust/J-g...so the silkie are afraid of them... but good to know that ' yes...they can live with the rest of the flock' Thank you~

5. LittleRedCoop53

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Thank you ...they do seem like they are going to be babies forever~ :)

6. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I know. I have some silkies and junior chickens that are about 3 monthes old now, and I'm thinking of putting them in with my Javas, for ease of feeding/watering the next few monthes. I'm going through the dance of readjustment too. I want fertile Java eggs, but since they are moulting anyway, I think I'll mix everyone up tonight in the dark, and keep a keen eye out tomarrow.

Let me know how its going. You can PM me if you want.

7. LittleRedCoop53

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Java chickens? nice... you said they are molting, (as well as less light?) so they are not laying ....how long do they take a break if left to nature? I'm trying to do things naturally, if it's just the winter months....haha~

8. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

molting time come when birds are around 14 monthes old, so A july 2012 hatch will molt next September 2013 mostly. Its around a 6 week process. I usually provide lights in the evening/night to keep eggs coming, but moulters need to stay warm and grow feathers, not make eggs, so they lay off. I'll be keeping the light on again in about a month. I've got 5 hens laying 3 or 4 eggs a week.

9. LittleRedCoop53

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Hi again....
    About egg laying.... so my older hens have all molted( they are looking great) it's been almost 2 months of no egg laying...so i decided 'why not add some light ?' so i did...the last two nights now....from 5pm until 8:30pm ( which i figure gives them 12 1/2 hours) then i read ' you should add time slowly...15 minutes a week'..... oops.... and also it said...' add light time in morning hours, so it doesn't disturbed they're roosting( my hens seem just fine) ... I noted that you said you use light at night.... do you think the 'all at once' light jump will be ok??? thanks for any advice you might have :) Cyn~
    `

10. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

they can do fine in a flock, i had this hen that was put in a flock, never been around them, and did well. and on the eggs, they are poor egg layers (this is what i had read, sadly the silkie i had was killed at 6 months :/)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by