Do Silkies fit in??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jossy J, May 5, 2009.

1. Jossy J

Jossy J Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    I have 3 banties - a Cochin rooster and hen and a Brahma hen - and two silkies. One of the silkies is small, white and can't see very well because of her head feathers. She likes to hang out with the larger buff silkie who likes to hang out in the coop with the other chickens.

The coop is a 9'X10' enclosure inside a horse barn and they would have more space in the coop than a cage. I do, however, let them come out to scratch around the barn every few days.

My question....the banties seem to pick on her....do silkies fit in with the other chickens? I have been slowly introducing the silkies and the pecking order establishment doesn't seem that bad however I feel sorry for her. If they don't traditionally fit in then I'll just put the two silkies in a seperate cage. However they seem to want to hang out in the coop with the other chickens if I leave the door open.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I never had a problem with mine fitting in. Maybe give her a little trim so she can see better. My Favorelles have huge tuffs and they have a hard time seeing sometimes. When they were free range, my husband trimmed the tuff so they could see better. It worked!!

3. Shay1327

Shay1327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Franklinville, NY
    I have my 2 silkies out with the rest of my chickens (a mix of standards and Banty's) and they do just fine. I will say they are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to pecking order but it doesn't seem to bother them in the least. I let the other chickens out of the run to free range on my 10 acres, but not my Silkies. I have tried twice and they haven't made it back to the coop at night (I found them the next morning scared to death). So I just sneak them treats in the run while the rest of them are out and about. I love my Silkies they fit in just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by