Do silkies get along well with other birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WhiteCochinLover, Nov 16, 2011.

1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Hi I am thinking about getting two silkies and putting them in a pen with 2 RIR, 2 legorns and 1 silver laced wyanndot.... (the wyanndot and the 2 RIR tend to be agressive)... would they be okay in that pen with them?

2. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    Mine do but I don't have any that are real aggressive. They might be okay once they establish a pecking order

3. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    My experience with silkies is that they do not fair well with more aggressive birds because of their top knot they can't see exceptionally well all the time, and they are too slow to just run away. I only had mine with other mild tempered bantams to prevent any accidents. They had a pecking order and a scuffle would break out once in a blue moon but was resolved quickly and no one seemed to hold grudges [​IMG]

Best of luck! It's never easy no matter what kind of birds are meeting for the first time

4. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    I have the same question, I'm getting one silkie hen and was just wondering if she would do well with 2GLW, 2 BA, 2 RSL, 3 BO, 1 americuana, 2 buttercups and 1 BR...?????

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When they are raised together, silkies and standard fowl generally get along quite well. When introduced into an established flock of large birds, they are most likely in for a miserable existance.

6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I agree with this.
    Not saying it will always be like this with every instance.
    But my standard SLW was very mean and aggressive to my silkies and i now have to keep them separate.
    If they were around the same size it wouldn't be so much of an issue, but because of the SLW's size, she could really injure them or even kill them with little effort.
    It depends on all the birds temperaments.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  7. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Also silkies have what is called a vaulted skull here is a good link to what it is.

http://www.hattricksilkies.net/articles_vaulted_skull.html

Hope this Helps,

Happy-Hens

Edited to add that if it gets pecked it can die or have brain damage [​IMG] So my answer is a no , maybe you could build them another coop/run or just section off part of the coop and run just for them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Try setting the silkies up an pen in the other pen so they can get used to each other. I have mine in with an RIR named Funkey We do Ok , they were raised togeather though, good luck on your babies

9. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Thank you

10. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    My silkie hen grew up with the seven other layers and they all get along fine. But the key is they were all chicks together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by