Do silkies get along with cochins?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lil bird lady, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Lil bird lady

Lil bird lady New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Alabama
    This is my first flock and when I went to get my birds the woman I bought my chicks from accidentally gave me a single ruffled cochin. She's much smaller than the rest of the flock. I am getting probably 3-5 silkies soon. I know that silkies don't usually do well when introduced to a flock, but would it be okay (when the silkies are a couple months old) to introduce the one ruffled cochin I have to the silkie flock and have her join the flock?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I can't see a problem with that. One Cochin in a flock of Silkies should be fine.

Edit: Didn't realize this was in the New Member forum at first. Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Queen Misha, I have the same problem. I start to tell someone to post in the "what gender, etc." thread and then realize that's where I am.

I think a normal sleep pattern would do wonders for me , or not!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lil Bird Lady, I don't for see any problems with the one cochin amongst silkies..

6. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    Cochins are probably one of the friendlier breeds, I know mine is!

7. Lil bird lady

Lil bird lady New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Alabama
    Thanks for the help and thank you so much for welcoming me. My birds right now are only a little over two months old, I've been socializing with them so that they won't be afraid of people and i noticed that the cochin is a little more standoffish than the rest of them. Do ya'll have any idea why?

Oh and btw queen misha i love the Dean gif

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Bird's personalities will vary. Usually Cochins will be at least as docile as Silkies, but some may be more skittish. However, any bird can be tamed down with enough handling.

Thanks! I like yours too, they are so adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by