Do silkies get along with.....?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckcluckluke, Sep 11, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

do silkie hens get along with all breeds of hens? i have 2 white leghorns, 12 black and red sexlinks, 2 production reds and 1 RIR will a silkie hen get along with these breeds?

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

In my experience yes. Silkies are the most docile, maternal and tame chickens out there.

3. cluckcluckluke

ooooo, that sounds great thanks, so shell be really friendly and follow me into the house[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. ShelterFarm

ShelterFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    Clayton, Ohio
    I had two silkies for a short while - one of them was pretty docile but the other was an absolute beast - he would attack other hens and even chase down some of my kids and once pounced on a friend of ours.

5. lilhippiemomma

lilhippiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    My regular hens are actually kind of afraid of my Silkie rooster. I think they think he's some sort of black fluffy little alien. He cruises over to eat with them and they walk away quickly and won't look at him. It's kind of funny, actually.

6. cluckcluckluke

hahaha[​IMG] thats funny, i hope they like my silkie

7. cluckcluckluke

ye my neighbour said he had a silkie once and it was head hen and that she would even put his rooster into place sometimes.

8. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

In my experience, Silkies are gorgeous. If you get a rooster thats aggressive then you just show him whos boss - give him a batt out of your way, pick him up and hold him for as long as it takes to stop him struggling, clamp his beak shut with your fingers. That works for me.

9. cluckcluckluke

thanks heaps i cant wait to get my hen now[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by