Do Silkies need to stay in the brooder longer?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamdoe, May 13, 2010.

1. mamdoe

mamdoe Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    So since Silkies take longer to mature and feather out do they need to stay in the brooder longer?
    I have two 5 week old silkies in with 7 week old EE's and 5 week old BR and cochin. I have been moving the heat lamp further away each week, but they are in my husbands shop which is heated (usually kept around 70 degrees)
    Everyone seems happy with the temps right now but I was hoping to move them out to the coop by next weekend (with their heat lamp)

2. RAWR

RAWR Songster

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    you can put the silkies out with the others, but i would watch them
    hows the weather?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I had no issue integrating my silkie, other than the fact that he is an outcast. However, he doesn't seem to mind much.

4. mamdoe

mamdoe Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. The silkies have been living with the others the whole time. I just questioned them going to the coop with the others b/c there really is a big size difference and I know that they take longer to feather out.
    I live in Michigan so you never really know what the weather will be like. Last week it was sunny and in the 70's, this week has been rainy and in the 50's. But I think we had our last frost this week too (fingers crossed) So I figured that they should be able to go out to the coop by the end of the month at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by