Do silkies/polish adapt well to new chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sillychicks123, Jul 31, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    One of my four chicks turned out to be a Roo, and I have to re-home him because Im not allowed to keep Roos were I live. I may bring in a new chicken to the "flock", but I would only be able to bring in one, because my parents wont let me have five chickens. I was wondering if silkies and polish (all bantams) would adapt well to having a knew chicken around, or if they might isolate it/pick on it a lot. I'm not getting another chicken for sure, because I dont really want to feel like I'm trying to replace my other one, but I was thinking that it may be cool to rescue an old battery hen. any thoughts???

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Silkies and Polish hens both tend to be pretty low status breeds, they usually are not a problem so far as picking on other breeds, usually the other breeds do the picking on them. If you bring in a new standard bird that is one of the usual egg laying breeds, she will probably wind up ruling the roost eventually. I would worry that something like a RIR would eventually cause problems with bantam silkies and polish and need to be separated. You might want to see what breeds are available where you are, and what condition they are in, are they de-beaked etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by