Do Silkies roost?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NCchicken, Sep 8, 2010.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Do silkies roost? I am new to silkies. I have four hens, two of them, barred rock and an EE, both roost at night, but my two silkies prefer to go in the coop and sleep on the poop board. Is this normal silkie behavior? Perhaps my roost is too high? Should I add a new lower roost? I'm afraid they will just get pooped on from their coopmates up above.[​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I have two silkies, almost 14 weeks old. One prefers to roost with his flockmates, several feet off the ground. The other one can't be forced to roost. If I put her up, she jumps back down immediately.
    I intend to add a lower roost for mine, so they aren't hurt jumping down.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    My Silkie roosts.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    mine too:) We built them a roost about 1 ft off the ground some even have problems getting on that!

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

some of my Silkie mixes do, but the three full-blood silkies prefer to sleep in a pile. [​IMG] In the evenings, when I'm closing the door and making sure everybody's settled in and ready for bed, one corner of the chicken house just looks like a giant cotton ball...

6. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone! Looks like I'll be building a lower roost for them in the coop that isn't directly under the taller roost. Hmm, this could get tricky. Looks like I have a project tonight when I get home. [​IMG]

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I only have one silkie, but she does not roost on traditional perches. If she does roost, it's on a perch that's very close to the ground and doesn't involve jumping on to it. (I have a large piece of manzanita in my coop and sometimes she'll go sit on top of that.)

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:We made two roosts that we use in the brooder. They are 24" lengths of PVC pipe. On each end is an elbow, then another short piece of pipe (down), connected to a T at the bottom with two more short pieces of PVC sticking out on each side for the "feet". I've noticed my non-roosting silkie likes to sit on them during the day.

9. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    We made two roosts that we use in the brooder. They are 24" lengths of PVC pipe. On each end is an elbow, then another short piece of pipe (down), connected to a T at the bottom with two more short pieces of PVC sticking out on each side for the "feet". I've noticed my non-roosting silkie likes to sit on them during the day.

That is a fantastic idea! Thanks for the tips!! [​IMG]

10. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Whoa! NCchicken, where you at???? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by