Do silkies roost?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickfever, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I was just finishing our new silkie home up and stumbled upon a post that said silkies don't roost, just huddle in a corner. Is that true? I lack roosts (if needed), ramp, cover for run, and wood chips for the floor and it will be complete!! I am so glad and I'm sure dh is too [​IMG].

2. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Mine do not roost. In fact they dont even like to go in their coop! [​IMG] An entire coop just for their special lil fluffly butts and they chhose to sleep outside on the ground..... [​IMG]

3. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Well, these had better at least attempt to go in the coop a few nights or dh will have a cow [​IMG]!! LOL He's worked himself to death when he has been home the past 2 days [​IMG].

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I put a board on cinder blocks and they roost on that, and they try to jump up onto the big tall roost. Some make it. But i think they do like to roost, they just cant get up on high roosts.

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Only some silkies roost. I think it depends on if their show quality or not, really. The ones with the big crests and lazy easy going attitudes like show silkies have probably cant even SEE a roost, where as the more rangy ones probably do. Our show quality hen doesn't but our pet quality hens do roost.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Mine do not roost at night either. I have several different ages. They all like to huddle in one corner once they go up at night.

And mine hate to stay outside when it starts to get dark! They think I am supposed to open the tractor door and get them up in the tack room where there brooder still is first before anyone else! If I take care of any other chickens before them they just whine and carry on! [​IMG]
    I don't know who spoiled these little creatures![​IMG]

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Thats very true.......the ones of mine that make it up on the roost are the less fluffy ones. But i still think they would like a cinder block mini roost like mine [​IMG]

8. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    My only silkie chick is best friends with an easter egger the same age. They both sit on the lowest perch in the coop (12").

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I only have one so maybe he doesn't know he's a silkie but he roosts with everyone else.

10. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I moved them to their new coop. They all just piled in the corner. I'll put some roosts in there tomorrow but if they won't roost, it won't do me much good [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by