Do silkies roost?

Chickfever

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
Southwest VA
I was just finishing our new silkie home up and stumbled upon a post that said silkies don't roost, just huddle in a corner. Is that true? I lack roosts (if needed), ramp, cover for run, and wood chips for the floor and it will be complete!! I am so glad and I'm sure dh is too
smile.png

Mine do not roost. In fact they dont even like to go in their coop!
roll.png
An entire coop just for their special lil fluffly butts and they chhose to sleep outside on the ground.....
barnie.gif

Well, these had better at least attempt to go in the coop a few nights or dh will have a cow
smile.png
!! LOL He's worked himself to death when he has been home the past 2 days
smile.png

I put a board on cinder blocks and they roost on that, and they try to jump up onto the big tall roost. Some make it. But i think they do like to roost, they just cant get up on high roosts.

Only some silkies roost. I think it depends on if their show quality or not, really. The ones with the big crests and lazy easy going attitudes like show silkies have probably cant even SEE a roost, where as the more rangy ones probably do. Our show quality hen doesn't but our pet quality hens do roost.

Mine do not roost at night either. I have several different ages. They all like to huddle in one corner once they go up at night.

And mine hate to stay outside when it starts to get dark! They think I am supposed to open the tractor door and get them up in the tack room where there brooder still is first before anyone else! If I take care of any other chickens before them they just whine and carry on!
hit.gif

I don't know who spoiled these little creatures!
idunno.gif

Quote:
Thats very true.......the ones of mine that make it up on the roost are the less fluffy ones. But i still think they would like a cinder block mini roost like mine
smile.png

My only silkie chick is best friends with an easter egger the same age. They both sit on the lowest perch in the coop (12").

I moved them to their new coop. They all just piled in the corner. I'll put some roosts in there tomorrow but if they won't roost, it won't do me much good
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom