Do Silver/Black Ameraucanas Exist?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smith2, Jan 28, 2009.

1. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Is there an Ameraucana color called the black silver or silver black or are they just called Silvers? Who has any? I am looking for some Ameraucana's but I really want the silver s/ black. Does anyone have photos of their birds?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, not unless someone is trying to produce a new color. There is black and there is Silver. On the silver color, the cock is very different than the hen and has alot of black on him, but the color is Silver.
    Here is a silver male:
    [​IMG]

3. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Do you know of anyone that has silver Ameraucanas? What color eggs do they lay?

4. speckledhen

I know someone here has them. Maybe pips & peeps? They lay nice blue ones, if I'm not mistaken. Check out her website. Not sure who else, but I'll post if I remember.

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Jean (Pips&Peeps) does have them.John Blehm has them as well.

6. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

I am attempting to develop a color variety in bantam that I am calling blacksilver. I bred birchen birds into blackgold birds in an attempt to achieve the same pattern as the blackgold birds. I hope to have the silver/white coloring replace the gold coloring in the blacksilver birds.

Several ameraucana breeders have developed a new color variety called blackgold. These ameraucana breeders are working hard at getting the blackgold color variety accepted in both LF ameraucana and bantam ameraucana.

You can see several of my blacksilver birds at the link below. I am currently working on efforts to enhance the lacing in these birds. And of course, please let me say that all of these birds are considered Easter Eggers until their color variety goes through the acceptance processess.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42149

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  7. speckledhen

John, those are really nice! Good work. This is a terrific breed. I hope one day soon, some of these new colors will be recognized and can be called Ameraucanas. They are beautiful! I like the Salmons the Bells were working on. My EE June that you know very well came from them. Not sure how she came out of a Salmon egg, but hey, I love her.

8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I was working on Birchen, but since I cannot find any other stock I can get here my program is at a dead-end(rooster too old etc).
    I have given up with this colour now after 5 yrs, Silverado and his girls get to live out their lives in the layer flock now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I LOVE the Black tailed reds by Jim Tuckwood. I would especially like to see that color recognized. If I was out of the city I would love to work on that color as well.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Sorry I can't help but I'm only working on the Wheaten & Blue Wheatens.

God Bless,

Please remember, from the rules:

9. Do not promote other poultry websites that could be considered in competition to BYC. Sometimes it may be appropriate to link to another site that has specific information relative to a question, but moderators have to right to remove links and posts at their discretion.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by