Do Silver Spangled Hamburgs take longer to mature?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jrdelong, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Jrdelong

Jrdelong New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    We have a small organic farm in New Mexico and we purchased 20 SSH's about 25 weeks ago and they have yet to begin laying. Does anyone know if this breed takes longer to mature than average? They're supposed to be such great layers... But I'm just wondering when the eggs will start.

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I don't have any good answers, but thought I would just let you know we're not getting many eggs here right now due to the heat. Also, I think most of the birds we've had (lots of different breeds) have started laying between ages 6 and 7 months old, so hopefully you'll be getting some eggs soon!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hatchery Hamburgs, usually no.

Breeders or show quality Hamburgs, yes. Sometimes I had to wait up to eight to ten months of age before they laid their first egg for me.

And it depends on the whether or stress in the flock or you have an egg eater among the crowd.

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I have a Golden Spangled Hamburg and she is very tempermental about laying. She will take days off between each egg. When she does lay, her eggs are about medium sized. I think she was about 6 months when she started laying, which was easy to tell since she is our only white egg layer.

Hope yours start soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by