Do some hens never lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pintail39, Feb 14, 2012.

1. pintail39

pintail39 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Hi, I have 2 silkies and 4 welsummers that will be 1 yr old next month. the Silkies started laying @ 5 months old and I have gotten an egg from one or both every day since (even w/o lights during the winter). 2 of my welsummers started @ 6 months old, took 2 month off for winter and now are laying again. The other 2 welsummers have not layed, one still has very small light colored comb. My question, are there some hens that never lay or is there still hope for her??

thanks.

2. VkyVky

VkyVky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Ventura County, CA
    I have one Welsummer (Babette) out of my 5 hens. She took about 3 months longer than the others to start laying. I guess she was about 8 3/4 months old before she laid her first egg. She did talk about it for a few months prior, though.

3. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    If she is healthy she should start laying when she's ready. I've just gotten back into chicken, had some 8years ago and had to sell them.I have seen hens take a lot longer to lay than expected. If you are feeding good layer crumbles or pellets and all the other are laying she will most likely just surprise you one morning. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by