1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do some hens never lay ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poultrykeeper08, Feb 6, 2009.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I got a light brahma chick last year on easter along with a few other chicks that turned out to be roos .

Any way i had had her this whole time in my goose barn and i have never gotten an egg from her .

Ya know how people cay you can tell if a hen is laying by feeling thw 2 bones under her vent . If you can fit 2 fingers inbetween the bones then she is laying . Well i did that the other day and i can only fit one finger / Is she a DUD [​IMG]

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Are you SURE she's a she?

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I don't know. I rescued a Silkie hen last year and have never gotten an egg from her. But I'm not sure how old she really is either. She looks older than I was told and I know old hens can quit laying altogether. I've never heard of a young hen never laying.

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, one of my poultry books (is it Storey's?) says you're supposed to check around 30 weeks to see if the girls are laying and cull the ones that aren't if they don't start in the next six weeks. I'm guessing, and this is just a guess because I've never had a hen that didn't start to lay, that they must've put that in there because indeed there ARE hens that never lay.

5. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    From what I know about brahmas in general is that they are slow to mature. so they may not lay until they are about a year old. YOu might give her a couple more months before you decide what to do with her.

Also, can you show pictures of her comb and wattles? Are they red or a light color?

~Caran

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Oh yeah i am sure shes a she . the other brahma chick i had turned out to be a rooster . i can get a pic of her comb . They say if its drak red then she should lay soon if its light not yet right ?

7. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    yup you are correct. Bright red means ready to go! light pale red means not quite ready.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Ive got a 9 month old RIR who just started laying and an EE that started at maybe 7 months.

9. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    [​IMG] I gave a friend of ours three chickens two hens and a roo and you know what they are going on 40 weeks and still have not laid a single egg between the two of them. yet younger sister who is at 31 weeks has been laying every day for the past week or two. go figure [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

We ordered chicks from MacMurray last year and I sold a few of my girlies to a friend. He got three different breeds and I have 12 different breeds out there. ALL of mine were laying by 30 weeks and NONE of his were laying still at 40 weeks. Weird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by