1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

+++Do some hens NOT lay eggs??+++

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by keysfarmgirl, Apr 13, 2009.

1. keysfarmgirl

keysfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Florida Keys
    I have 2 hens and have been averaging one egg a day. One hen goes to the nest box and does her thing and we get an egg. The other one, which I think may be a little "mentally challenged" goes to the nest box and makes noise, but we never find an egg after. Are there some hens that just don't lay eggs? Would this mean there is a health problem?

2. Driftwood Coop

Driftwood Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Amesbury, Mass
    How old are they? And what breed?
    I have some Polish hens that laid eggs for awhile, then stopped.

3. keysfarmgirl

Mar 8, 2009
    Florida Keys
    They are both 8 month old Ameraucanas. I got them at the same time from someone who raised them from babies.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I bet she's practing the whole laying an egg routine. She should start soon.
    Don't be too concerned that just because they are the same breed they didn't start laying at the same time.
    I have four sisters. We didn't all "start" at the same time either. [​IMG]

5. Driftwood Coop

Driftwood Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Amesbury, Mass
    Sorry, I don't have that breed and I don't know much about it. Based on what I've seen from the Polish, it's possible for them to stop due to traumatic change. Maybe the move to your house was traumatic?
    My experience was this -- Something attacked our chickens a month and a half ago. They all survived and the rooster fought it off, but the Polish haven't laid since. I have heard sometimes it can take weeks or months for a hen to get back on track.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I bileave so, I have one RIR hen which is exactly one year old and she never ever laied an egg.

7. keysfarmgirl

Mar 8, 2009
    Florida Keys
    Wow! A year old and no eggs.
    Omram, does your RIR sit on the nest and make egg laying noises?

Gritstar, how old were yours when they started?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My first hen to lay was just shy of five months - really early for a brahma. My last two to lay were 9 1/2 months old. Lil'Bit laid one egg at around 6 months and didn't lay again for two months. She's now one of my most regular layers; nearly an egg every day. All brahmas.

9. keysfarmgirl

Mar 8, 2009
    Florida Keys
    OK, so maybe I should just give her a while. Being a new chicken owner you just never know what "normal" is. Thanks for the input.

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My banty cochin is a year old as of the end of this month and she's never laid an egg. Good thing she's cute...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by