Do some roos just never crow or mate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have a roo who certainly is old enough to be crowing, and probably mating by now. We bought him at an unknown age back around May 15th. I've heard him get excited at a hen doing egg song, and join in with her, but other than that, he's a very quiet bird with no signs of roo behavior. He's our only roo, and we want roo behavior (well, the good stuff anyway, LOL). We'd like to eventually hatch some of our own eggs, but obviously can't until he starts gettin' busy with the ladies! So I'm starting to wonder...are there some roos who just never crow, never mate, never do rooish things? I've heard that they sometimes stay quiet when there is a dominate roo around, but he's all by himself. I'll post 2 pics below, one of when we first got him mid May, and one of him just a couple days ago. Our best guess was that he was at least 12 weeks when we got him, making him a solid 6+ months old.

Whaddya think?

[​IMG]

....and now....

[​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    If he can't hear any other roosters crowing he may feel like he doesn't need to. When I had 1 rooster he was so much more quiet than the 7 roosters I have now. When one crows, they all start crowing [​IMG]
    He probably is mating with your hens, just not when you're around. Some roosters can be sneaky about it.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Have you checked the eggs to see if they are fertile?

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Yep, no fertile eggs. We're out there a large portion of most days. It's not happening...

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Anyone have a rooster who's this age or older that never crows or mates?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by