Do splash cochin hens go broody often? And do they make good mothers?

Crobby

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks for helping, I am interested in buying a few pullets for sale and hatching eggs under them...If you know of some websites where I can find more information on this breed that would be greatly appreciated.
hmm.png

Cochins go broody alot, and they make great mothers!
big_smile.png

This is an article from Wiki that I found.
As above, the most distinctive feature of the Cochin is the excessive plumage that covers leg and foot. The skin beneath the feathers is yellow and the egg colour is brown. Eggs are also medium in size. Standard weight is 11 pounds (5 kg) for a cock, 9 pounds (4 kg) for a cockerel, 8.5 pounds (3.9 kg) for a hen, and 7 pounds (3.2 kg) for a pullet. Colour varieties include buff, black, partridge, blue, silver laced, splash, golden laced, and white. Cochins also come in a variety called frizzled, in which the feathers are turned outward. Cochins are well known as good mothers, even as foster mothers for other breeds, and they can lay many eggs, but usually not for extended periods of time. Cochins are also known to be good pet hens for the garden, as they are tame and regarded as one of the most 'friendly' chicken breeds. Cochins are quiet chickens. They scarcely crow or cluck, only when laying eggs.

I here they make very good brood hens especially the bantams hens b/c it is said that the standard hens are so big and clumsy that they smash chicks and break eggs often.

Do Cochins go broody? Yes, they do. A lot. My Cochin pullet went broody, so I gave her some chicks. 2 weeks after she finished raising those chicks, she goes broody again
th.gif

Here she is with her chicks that she just finished raising 3 weeks ago
DSC_0016-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom