Do splayed legs ever fix by themself?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Must Be Losing It, May 28, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I have a new chick who hatched last night w/ splayed legs. As he or she is less than a day old I am waiting to see if she gets her legs under her without installing the bandaid leg irons. Does this ever happen - they fix by themselves I mean?

Julie

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Make sure the chick is on paper towels or rubber shelf liner or something like that that will give good traction (avoid newpaper/shavings)

Sometimes they will get their legs under them in a day or two. If by day 3 the legs are still splayed, I'd splint for sure.

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

So, Julie, how is your chick doing.

I have the same situation. Tiny bantam (with very fuzzy legs) that I had to help hatch yesterday, spent too much time on his butt with the remains of the membrane pulling his leg out to the side. This morning I noticed he's pretty well spraddled, but I don't know how soon to go with the splint.

Any ideas: should it be done asap or should I wait for a day or so and see if he gets a grip?

Thanks for any input here.

Susan

4. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I splinted my baby this morning. I'd rather do it sooner than later so she can adjust to the learning to walk w/ the splint right away and while she's not starving or fighting to reach her food.

I'll keep you posted. She's such a cutie, I hope she gets better. I'd suggest you start right away as well.

5. SusanJoM

Yeah, I think I'll do the same. S/he is tiny and fuzzy, and I don't have anyone to help me. Guess I'll try the bandaid first....or maybe some chunky yarn...

Good luck and do keep me/us posted.

Susan

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

The band-aid worked very well for me....

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Although, I've heard of using a make-up sponge & making holes in it & bracing the legs that way. I didn't have any at home but I had band-aids....

Oh & my chick was a cochin with fuzzy legs, too....

7. SusanJoM

That site is very helpful.
    And thanks for letting me know you did it on your smaller fuzzier kid.
    I'm gonna go and try it as soon as I get the dogs off the the groomer for the day.

Susan

8. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    The make up sponge idea is interesting but how do you get their feet through the holes.

Oh, and I should also mention, my baby has fluffy legs/feet as well.

J

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Here is a link to the site with the make-up sponge.

http://www.parrotparrot.com/splay/

You'll need two people....one to hold the chick, the other to put the little feet through the holes in the sponge. You just have to be VERY gentle.....

10. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    They make it look so easy - I have to tell you, its tough wrestling a peeping little fluffernutter into leg irons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by