Do sweaters actually help chickens stay warmer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KarliRae, Dec 5, 2013.

1. KarliRae

KarliRae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    I know some people have put sweaters on their chickens to keep them from getting pecked on. And some put them on in the cold weather - but does a shivering hen actually stop shivering if you put a warm sweater on her?

Thanks!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would never attempt it.....I think it would compress the feathers so they can't do what they are supposed to do, which is fluff up to hold warmth against the skin.

3. KarliRae

KarliRae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    I thought that too - the only exception I think, would be if you made them some sort of loose windbreaker maybe? I know that your coop needs to not have drafts, so chickens feathers probably aren't that wind-proof.

4. I know many people do that. I have never put my chickens in sweaters... I would think it would work if it trapped cold air from getting in.
    [​IMG] Isn't this pic cute! I found it online! :)

5. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I had a polar fleece apron on my poor hen that had a long and hard molt. I took it off just last week. She is finally growing back her feathers (which is a blessing since its been 20° with freezing rain lately.

6. nancyinwashpa

nancyinwashpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a golden wyandott that has been pecked on, putting antibacterial salve on back, but feathers not growing back. Thinking of using a sweater. Want to leave it on day and night. Any ideas?

7. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    you can create an apron out of polar fleece. Google or look on here for "no-sew fleece chicken apron". Sometimes they're called saddles. I had a white rock that was overmated. Her feathers took FOREVER to grow in. She got sunburned, so I made up a fleece apron. Worked great.

8. nancyinwashpa

nancyinwashpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    where did you get the polar fleece apron?

9. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I just made it out of a scrap of polar fleece. If you search online you can find the pattern. I don't still have it. It's super easy.

10. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    Unless the chicken's feathers are compromised for some reason, sweaters will make them colder when it's cold (by preventing them from fluffing their feathers & down to form the insulating warm air cushion) and cause them to overheat when it gets warm (by preventing them releasing excess heat). If you want to take a cute picture of a bird in a sweater, have at it then take the sweater off. If you need to protect a bird temporarily because of injury/parasites/picked feathers, this is one of your options. If it is truly frigid out to the point frostbite is an issue, put a heat lamp in the coop (not like a sweater is going to do anything for frostbite on combs anyway). If you want something to dress up on a regular basis, get a short-haired yap dog. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by