1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DO THE EGGS GET BIGGER AS THE BIRD GROWS?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickenkeeper, Apr 6, 2009.

1. thechickenkeeper

thechickenkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    hi there BYCKeepers, I was under the impression, dont know where I got it from, that once a hens starts to lay that is the size of the egg it lays, so on that point, will a hens eggs get bigger as she grows older and bigger herself? reason I ask is our Minorca is laying small eggs, and everywhere I read, it says the Minorca has the biggest white eggs of any breed. So what's the jury say?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it takes them a month or even more to get to their largest size. it allows the body to stretch without too much damage to the vent tissue.

3. AboutSixPounds

AboutSixPounds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    Northern Piedmont, NC
    I have freakishly consistent chickens. From Egg One, all three have laid eggs that are exactly 2 ounces. (I weigh them on a digital scale.) Before they started laying I was expecting those little pullet eggs. Nope. Nothing but 2 ouncers every single time. But from what I've been told, these ladies are the exception, not the rule.

4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

My RIR's started out laying small eggs, but they have worked themselves up to medium/large (mostly large). The same with my BO's, but their eggs have gotten even larger. My newest EE started out with really tiny eggs but now they are up to medium. She's still a pullet so I'm hoping they will get larger, as she is a very large bird.

I think that usually this is what happens, they get larger over time. I have some very old RIR's that are laying what I call "dinosaur eggs"! They weigh up to 3 ounces quite consistently.

I'm sure your girls will get up there! Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Mine have all started with small pullet eggs, but my poor EE has laid 4 HUGE double yolkers in her first 2 weeks of laying, starting with the her third.

6. thechickenkeeper

thechickenkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for the replies and reassurance, enjoying the little ones while I can.

7. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    My Isa browns start small but by 23 weeks are laying large and 30 weeks all are jumbo's.

8. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:That is so strange! I neglected to mention it in my previous post, but my EE also laid about 4 huge double yolkers at the very beginning, not sure if it was in the first two weeks, though. Maybe that's an EE trait!

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    They do get bigger as the bird's body adjusts to laying over a 2-4 week period. After the first molt (around 18 mo old), they'll lay even larger eggs.

We have a bunch of POL pullets just getting started good. I'm going to make small deviled eggs for Easter from their pullet eggs. The younger neices and nephews will love it. [​IMG] They're each getting a half dozen fresh EE eggs too. Should be fun!

10. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Just an update! I got a huge 3.6 ounce egg from one of my older RIR's today! Thought you might like to know! [​IMG] Genie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by