Do the male chicks really get their feathers more slowly than the female chicks?

Curious1234

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
I have heard that the male chicks will get their wing feathers and tail feathers later than the female chicks of the same age. Is there any truth in this? Are there any other ways to determine the sex of the chicks (when they are approximately 7 days old?)

I have heard that too, it may be breed specific as to how fast they grow feathers. I'm not sure if the ways they sex day old chicks still works at a week old. Of course the coloring on sexlinks and some breeds is a giveaway but don't know about other breeds.

I have 3 different breeds. Araucanas, Wyandottes and Orpingtons. The Orpingtons DID grow their feathers VERY differently! The Araucanas and Wyandottes did not noticably feather differently. The Wyandotte males grew wattles and combs in faster and more red and also had a different shaped comb. The Araucanas still don't look much different other than the male is getting red around his eyes and face. I kept what I believe are the females and one roo...time will tell as they are only 10 weeks old. I guess what I am trying to say is each breed is different and I would research the breeds and sex them seperatly.

Last edited:
With the straight-run Speckled Sussex that I ordered from the hatchery last spring, the males did feather in noticeable slower than the females. I can't say that I've noticed that happening with any of the chicks (Welsummer, BCM, buff orpington) I've bought or hatched this year though. The comb development has been a much clearer indicator with this year's chicks.

Back
Top Bottom