Do the same hens go broody every year?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by they'reHISchickens, Nov 30, 2009.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Question: in your flock, does the same hen go broody every year? If she was broody once, is it likely she will repeat?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Yes. Most hens, at least around here, that have the broody tendency will do it every year. Some will go broody multiple times each year.

My Pigie, white bantam cochin, has raised 4 clutches in the last 3 years. My proven mommas get first shot at eggs.

Matt

3. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

My minny is a year and a half and has gone broody 3 times already this year

4. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

My BO seems to go broody every other month. I guess if it's in their genes, it ain't leavin'.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I currently have 6 broody hens. This is down from a dozen. Five of the 6 are related, so you have to figure they have very, very broody backgrounds.

Here's how it happens at my place:

I notice that a hen is laying more than usual. Like a dozen eggs without taking a day off. I know at that point that she's laying her clutch and getting geared up to brood. So I then watch for her to go broody. If I don't want any chicks, I put her in broody jail. It takes 3 days to a week to break her of her broodiness. I then let her out. About a week after that, she starts laying again. Normal egglaying schedule for about a month, then the whole cycle repeats itself.

If I do want chicks, it's a little different. I notice that she's laying more than usual, so I start thinking about where to get hatching eggs. When she goes broody, I move her to a broody house and lock her in for a few days so she will decide that she can brood on that nest and not the one she originally chose. By that time, my eggs have arrived. She sits on them for 21 days, hatches babies, and mothers them for 4 to 8 weeks. Then she starts laying again, and is broody again in about a month.

This goes on all spring and summer long, into the fall. I decided to hatch eggs in autumn this year. I used 3 broody hens, my faves, and interestingly enough, none show any signs of wanting to wean the babies. One hatch is 10 weeks old, the other (with 2 mommas) is almost 8 weeks old. I'm thinking that they are still mothering the babies so well because they aren't ready to lay any more eggs due to the seasonal change.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yup. Always the same hen. She has only laid a handful of eggs this entire season because she's broody every 5 seconds. That's not working for me, so she may end up in the pot.

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quote:Offer her up for sale. Lots of people want broody hens.

(Be careful what you wish for, right? [​IMG] )

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    IMO, a good broody will pay for her keep as a mom. Gee, they don't ever give motherhood any credit for what it's worth? I'm already waiting for this year's broody Cleo's Friend to do it again next spring. I just hope she doesn't wait until July like she did this year!

9. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Quote:Offer her up for sale. Lots of people want broody hens.

(Be careful what you wish for, right? [​IMG] )

I agree, I would love a few broodies. Saves on the light bills. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by