Do these aircells look good for Day 19?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CALI CHICK, Feb 15, 2012.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    They are silkie eggs. I know there isn't anything I can change now that they are in lockdown, but do these eggs have a descent sized aircell? I drew a line on the eggs around the aircell the last time I candled (before putting them in lockdown). To me some looked small and others looked too big, so I'd love some thoughts...
    I kept the humidity around 20-25 the first 2 weeks and the last week in the 30's. The lockdown humidity is about 55% as I figured it would go even higher when they start pipping. Should I increase to 60% or will it be OK?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

3. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Thanks for your vote. [​IMG]
    These were shipped eggs so I'm surprised that the aircells settled as much as they did. [​IMG] There were times earlier on where the aircells had waves and real crooked edges. Some of them are still pretty lopsided, but I didn't want to open the bator and turn them for the picture. I placed the eggs with the biggest side 'up' figuring the chick would pip (hopefully) in that part. (At least that's what I read in another thread about an experiment with aircell/first pip).Plus, if they pip in that section, we will get to see the pip. I tried to draw the line directly on the aircell.

So does anyone else think these aircells look good, too small, too big????

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

This may help you. [​IMG] Good luck with the hatch!

5. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Thank you...I did look up that link and have a similar diagram on my bator instructions...but, a real (3Dimensional) egg is sometimes difficult to compare to a drawing.
    [​IMG]I'm kind of hoping someone with experience hatching silkies will chime in and share their experience with some aircell sizes they've seen in their eggs. [​IMG]
    It still amazes me that a chick will actually hatch out of these little eggs in 2 days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by