1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do these breeds fit in the categories I put them in?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BantamFan4Life, Feb 8, 2013.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Okay, so I will be ordering from Cackle Hatchery and I, of course, want to get the right breed for me and I was wondering if you think the
    breeds I selected would work. I follow the 3 P's for what I want out of my chickens:

Pride: Being able to take pride in my birds because their breed is rare and also I want to be able to show them.

Profit: Have nice large eggs that would be good for selling and also have a good feed to egg ratio.

Pet: I want the breed to be docile and a very good pet chicken.

Here are the breeds I thought of:

Cochin
    Brahma
    Faverolle
    Naked Neck

Would those breeds fit?

Thanks!!!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The Faverolle probably fits your criteria the best.
    What some hatcheries list as rare isn't necessarily so. I see brahmas and cochins quite a bit. They are gentle but not the best layers.

I might consider Delaware, Java, Langshan, Jersey Giant, Sussex, and Chantecler as well.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Okay, I'll look into some of those breeds except Chantecler they're flighty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by