We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Do these chicks look okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dgrif5, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    Just had my first ever hatch complete, and all five that made it into lockdown hatched! They've been in the incubator between 12-36 hours after Hatching, and I've just moved them to the brooder. Some look a little scraggly though, and I'm wondering if they've fluff up enough? Also, while they are eating, they haven't looked at either the water, or the heating plate! Any advice?
    20190722_152004.jpg

Erba and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  2. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    They look a little scraggly because they’re still drying off and fluffing up.

As for water, you should carefully dip their beaks into the water so they know where and what it is.

Congratulations and good luck!

3. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    If they are a little scraggly, would it be worth putting then back in the incubator for a bit? Or will they dry up alright? Thanks.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  4. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    Also: the heating plate I've got seems a little too hot in places. Parts seem alright, but others almost burn my hand. Will it be ok? What noises/signs should I look out for (good or bad).

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  5. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I’d keep them in the brooder as long as they’re mostly dry. Sometimes it just takes a while for the feathers to fluff up.

WannaBeHillBilly and Dgrif5 like this.
  6. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    Alright, thanks :) been incredibly lucky to have this many hatch considering the eggs weren't exactly the best (questionably fertile, old, following a fox attack), so I don't want to lose them now! :D

7. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Chicks look good to me. Might be just the picture angle, but the heating plate looks a little too low. Should be high enough that the chicks can just touch their backs when standing up. Helps to angle the plate so the chicks can self regulate better. As mentioned earlier, dip their beaks into the waterer.

8. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    They aren't using the heating plate because it's probably too hot, YO!! And if they aren't drinking water, slowly dip their beaks into water so they get the idea.

Erba and Dgrif5 like this.
  9. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    I've since angled the heating plate slightly (as well as encourage them under), and they seem to love it! also, I've managed to teach one of them how to drink. do I need to do it for the rest, or will they learn from its example? thanks again, and sorry for all the questions! :D

10. That's awesome results. After swearing never again I'm already planning how to do it again, I need more chickens. I think I could do it better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: