Do these chicks need a heat lamp?

crunchynut

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
New England
If so, for how much longer?

I think they're about 4-5 weeks old - they have most of their feathers. They'll be staying in a large dog kennel in our (unheated garage). For the rest of the week the weather is supposed to be in the upper 60's, low 70's during the day and mid 50's at night. Starting next week the forecast is for high 50's to mid 60's during the day and mid to high 40's at night.

I honestly can't remember how long we kept our older chickens under a light for.

66dpjq.jpg

Some. The weather is still nice, and the chicks need to get "hardened off", that is, they need to get used to the real world temps, such as they are.
Reduce their lamp wattage and at week 6, only provide a touch at night.

After a week, raise the lamp even higher, and lower the wattage even more. By week 7, they'll be good to go and they'll adjust to the temps, such as they are in October. Their down and feather will take care of them. They are stronger and larger now, so smothering is far less likely, although they will cuddle up next to each other.

By just looking at the photo, they look feathered enough at this point to be fine.

Cut out the heat and check on them a few times to see if they are chirping a lot. This is way they can tell you if they are too cold.

If you are not comfortable cutting the heat off completely then leave it on during the night and turn it off during the day for a few days.

I checked with my husband who picked them up from the farm and he said they were already off the heat lamp there, so we gave it a shot last night and they were fine. If we're expecting really chilly night temps any night I will give them the light just in case.

I got chicks this past summer, they are 15 weeks now...I used the lamp for one night...that's it...it was warm and they did great...When I did think they needed it, they didn't sleep and chirped loudly, so I shut it off again. I had them in the coop by 7 weeks in 40* nights, they did fine. If yours are still inside, they are fine, no heat needed, they are all feathered out and ready to go outside.

I'd put them outside but my older (free ranging) chickens would probably eat them! I'm going to construct a basic tractor them for the days so that they can be protected from the big ones and then sleep in a dog kennel next to the big ones at night.

Back
Top Bottom