Do these feathers look odd to anyone else? Pic in post 6

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Appaloosa Hill Farm, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Ok, we have a bantam (I'm assuming because it's so small) mystery chick that's appx 3 weeks old. It was dyed blue....and it's driving me batty. [​IMG] What's driving my battIER is the fact that it's got some funky feathering going on. I don't quite know what to think of the feathers coming in on its wings. I DO know that s/he could benefit from a good washing, but is it safe to wash such a young chick?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  2. mamanaturale

mamanaturale Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    spokane, wa
    ugh, that poor baby! i have no idea if you can wash a chick, but i am sure it would drive me crazy as well! why would someone dye a chick? some easter thing? sheesh. maybe a warm damp rag? and dry her off real good afterwards? good luck!

3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I'm a TOTALLY NEWBIE, so don't take my advice: LOL

I will mention two situations I have read/been told about:

1) in order to clean the dried poop/vent plug situation, it suggested putting the bottom of a chick (not the whole chick, just her bum) in warm water and then gently blowing dry with a hair dryer.

2) the woman who works at my local gym was telling me she walked into the bathroom to find her 6 year old daughter giving one of their new baby chicks a bath in the bathroom sink...she was a vet tech before she had children and she was certain the chick would die...she blew it dry and prepared for it to most likely not make it, but it was peeping around a few hours later...and ended up living...

SOOOOOOOOOOO with that knowledge I would guess you could try to gently wipe with a cloth, maybe get a little wetter, but sounds like blowing them dry is the key to keeping them warm and quickly getting them back to their normal temp.

although if it's just feather color that is bugg'n and not a health issue, I'd try to leave'm alone and just wait it out... [​IMG]

AGAIN disclosure~ I haven't even gotten my chicks yet, so I'm totally new and can't really give any valid advice...sorry! [​IMG]

4. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Thanks for the replies! Yeah, the color is bugging me, but I don't think it'll wash off. I think it's there 'til they out grow the fuzz-but stage. It's really the odd feathers on the back and wings that are bothering me the most. I think s/he needs a good cleaning so I can figure out what's going on there. I'll wait until s/he's a bit older before giving him/her a good washing though. Thanks again!!

5. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    do you have a photo you can post?

6. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Quote:Sure do! Disclaimer: My camera is old and crappy, so you may have to squint to see the feathery weirdness! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The feathers are oddly shaped and are not "silky", if you know what I mean. They're fairly stiff and sparse.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  7. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    I just read that they inject a non-toxic dye in the egg and that is how they dye them...then the color goes away when the new feathers come in.

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    I'm by NO MEANS an expert, so HOPEFULLY someone will pipe in and give you advice regarding the feather's.

I'm guessing the color isn't affecting the new feathers...so I doubt washing it off will make it better (well it sounds like from what I read, you can't wash it off anyhow)

I really hope someone can help [​IMG]

9. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Thanks for the input! I changed my title so hopefully someone will peek in and take a gander at this little blueberry of a chick. [​IMG]

10. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Those feathers may have come in since it was dyed or since it was hatched (assuming it was dyed in the egg.) I bet the blue was an Easter thing, but I agree that I would rather not have a dyed chick. It will all fall off soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by