Do these feathers seem 'normal' or am I just crazy?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Maybe this is in the wrong section.. Am I crazy or do they look funny? They're like soft and wispy.. They're olive egger X olive egger and EE. It shows more on the boys I think.. but the little pullets have odd wispy feathers too. This is maybe 4 different birds pictured. They're 7 weeks old. Not all of the chicks in the batch are like this, but a good amount are. My rooster also carries a dominant white gene.

I dont remember any of my previous hatches feathering in like this (I hatched their parents in december..)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wing feathers seem normal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The darker chicks have the same type of feathers too..
    [​IMG]

2. burbankchix

burbankchix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    California
    I was told that Ameracana's (or Easter Egger's) have cheek feathers that fluff out like that. We have two and they look just like that.

3. Grammy25

Grammy25 New Egg

Feb 5, 2010
    Number 1 looks just like my Minnie Pearl and the last one looks like my Goldie Hawn, they're both Americanas.

4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I was referring to the neck, shoulder, and the tail feathers not the beard and muffs on the face... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    My White Ameraucana's have feathers very similar. Softer than my B/B/S

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Quote:Very interesting! Thank you.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Your referring to the frayed feathers?
    If so there is a number of thins that can do that anything from environment, nutrition (the feed that your using may be low in protein, fat, or may not have animal protein), genetics, feather mites, etc.

Chris

8. pixiechick44

pixiechick44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    I have 2 EE,one has the same feathers as yours...I thought they still looked like chick feathers,but the other one has normal feathers...They are both 10 weeks old and they eat the same food.I think its just the way they are,I love my fuzzy one so cute....[​IMG]

9. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I've checked for creepy-crawlies on them. Seem fine. They seem to have chick fuzz still on the skin with feathers coming out around it.. (dont really remember looking this closely at my previous hatches so I dont know when they lose it all or if its normal.)

I'm feeding Purina Flock Raiser (same thing I've been feeding all my young birds for about 2 years now.) And they got moved into an outside grow out coop a few weeks ago. It was newly built and nothing else has previously occupied it. The feathers were coming in like this before I moved them outside too.

I'm getting the feeling I'm over analyzing it..

Pixiechick: Where did you get your EE's? Do you have any pics of them? [​IMG] What color are they too?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by