Do these girls look healthy - 8 months old and still no eggs.

HollyJB

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2020
Hi everyone. I've been wondering about my 3 pekin bantam girls for some time. I got them as day old chicks at the end of March, so they are now 8 months old. When googling around, it seems you can expect pekins to start laying between 6 and 8 months of age. They're obviously now at the later end of this and none of them look at all ready to lay. Again, looking at mature pekin hens online, they still look quite chick-like by comparison. I've added photos of their faces, as it seems to me they're still all quite pink.

These are the first chickens I've owned, so I'm just wondering if something is wrong. I've checked thoroughly for mites and no sign. They're just fed on commercial layers feed, and very occasionally kitchen scraps. I read that they wouldn't need extra grit in their diet, as they free range, but could this be part of the problem? Have checked our garden thoroughly in case they're laying in secret but there's few places they could hide them.

We also have a pekin bantam cockerel who was raised with them if that's relevant info.

I may just be over reacting in my impatience to find my very first egg but wanted to check in case there's anything a novice like me is overlooking.

Thanks!
20201124_075934.jpg
20201124_075939.jpg
20201124_075945.jpg

We got our Pekin Bantam at 8-9 months (prev. owner wasn't sure) and she laid her first egg within the week of coming home.

Your girls look like they are getting close, nice and red in the wattles/ combs which is a good sign.

20200802_141036.jpg

I've added photos of their faces, as it seems to me they're still all quite pink.
They look more than reddy (intentional misspelling).
Might be very soon, or already laying.
Since you free range.....
Could check pelvic spacing and vents.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Then.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

We got our Pekin Bantam at 8-9 months (prev. owner wasn't sure) and she laid her first egg within the week of coming home.

Your girls look like they are getting close, nice and red in the wattles/ combs which is a good sign.

View attachment 2423286
What a pretty girl she is! I think I've fallen a little in love with pekins. How lucky to get your first egg within a week! It's great to hear that you think they look almost ready - I was just worried as a novice I'd overlooked something. Thanks so much 🙂

They look more than reddy (intentional misspelling).
Might be very soon, or already laying.
Since you free range.....
Could check pelvic spacing and vents.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Then.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Good to hear they are looking close! I thought they still looked pink in the face compared to photos I was looking at online. They are going to be confined to their coop and run for a few days now anyway, as we've spotted Mr Fox hanging about in the day time, so fingers crossed that might help. Mostly just wanted to be sure they were looking healthy to people with more experience than me :) thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hi everyone. I've been wondering about my 3 pekin bantam girls for some time. I got them as day old chicks at the end of March, so they are now 8 months old. When googling around, it seems you can expect pekins to start laying between 6 and 8 months of age. They're obviously now at the later end of this and none of them look at all ready to lay. Again, looking at mature pekin hens online, they still look quite chick-like by comparison. I've added photos of their faces, as it seems to me they're still all quite pink.

These are the first chickens I've owned, so I'm just wondering if something is wrong. I've checked thoroughly for mites and no sign. They're just fed on commercial layers feed, and very occasionally kitchen scraps. I read that they wouldn't need extra grit in their diet, as they free range, but could this be part of the problem? Have checked our garden thoroughly in case they're laying in secret but there's few places they could hide them.

We also have a pekin bantam cockerel who was raised with them if that's relevant info.

I may just be over reacting in my impatience to find my very first egg but wanted to check in case there's anything a novice like me is overlooking.

Thanks!View attachment 2423280View attachment 2423281View attachment 2423282
Gorgeous 😍

Back
Top Bottom