Do these girls look ready?

Sparkway

Songster
10 Years
Jul 12, 2013
Essex County New Jersey
My BR , CQ, Light B, and EE are all about 7-8 months old. We live in NJ where it is now freezing and dark early. Do their combs look ready?

Other than the EE they sure do look ready! Will these be your first eggs? I still remember when I found my very first egg.

Thank you for the replies. Yes these will be our first eggs!!!! The EE I thought was still somewhat pale. I don't have electricity in the coop so will have to just wait it out. We are excited !!! Will keep you all posted!!!

I'm only about 15-20 mins away from you in NJ...I'm in Passaic County. I have Buff Orps, Red Sex Links, and a Minorca, all of which are around 8 months and laying well (with the exception of the minorca in winter). Be sure that you are feeding them layer feed to get their calcium levels high.

As for the cold, my birds have done very well. I close them in at night to retain some heat in the coop, but between all the fluffballs bunching together they produce plenty of heat, so your birds will be happy.

Best of luck with that first egg! Hopefully your EE lays blue or green and not brown!

We are close. I have been feeding later and oyster shell. I also just started my first batch of fermented feed so looking forward to that.
I guess it's just a waiting game now. And I hope my EE lays blue or green and not brown !!

I cleaned with a damp paper towel. Is there anything else I should do? And when they lay first eggs do they leave some "skid" mark on butt feathers? I think it did

Back
Top Bottom