do these hens look original red star ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beszchick, Nov 1, 2015.

1. beszchick

beszchick Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    I bought them from a store but im not sure if they are very old or mid aged based on your experience how old they look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Megan0419

Megan0419 New Egg

Oct 19, 2015
    Lyle,MN
    I think they are mid age because that's how my hens look and they are almost a year old.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, those are Red Stars. It is hard to determine the age of birds once they are around a year old. Judging by leg color and overall body shape, I would guess that these birds aren't very old; they're probably 1-2 years old.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the above; they have the red feathering with the white underfluff and white tail feathers that are common to Red Sex Link pullets, including those that are sold under the "Red Star" label. RSLs are egg laying machines. You should get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:)

6. beszchick

beszchick Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    But why none of them dont lay eggs they dont seem to be molting yet

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Without knowing their background or their age for certain, that's a difficult question to answer. It could be they were rejected from a laying house after passing their peak and they may need some care and time to begin laying again. It may be that the stress of the move from the store to your place has caused them to stop laying (that can definitely happen), and again, they will need some time to start laying again. Hopefully they are not so old that they are burnt out. I would just take good care of them and see what happens with them over the next few weeks. I think they will likely start laying again.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - how long ago did you purchase them? What are you currently feeding? Are they free-ranging or confined to an enclosed yard/pen?

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    red star pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by