1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do these look 9wks old?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by davemonkey, Aug 11, 2013.

1. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    I got some pullets, ages 9 wks and 13 wks. Someone told me their 9wk old pullets were about the size of my 13wk-olds. But, they do have all their feathers. I figured maybe they were just crowded or something and were a bit smaller than normal.

What do you folks think? The 13 wks olds are SL Wyandotte and RIR; the 9 wks are Australorp and a tiny buff Orpington. Photo with the kiddos for size reference of the babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    If I need to I can snap some pics tomorrow of them running around with the big girls.

3. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Comparison Photos:

First is a pic of a Leghorn Cockerel and a Pullet (Prod Red/SexLink? ) that I know will be 20 wks on Wednesday. The 13 wk-old RIR's are nearly that size...the 13 wk-old Wyandottes are a bit smaller than the RIR's.

After that are pics of the 9-wk old (Australorps and BO) next to a RIR for comparison, and the BO next to a grown hen, and then in my hand to show overall proportions, feathers, and feet (which are not as bulky as I figured they'd be).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Bump! Do the little Buff Orp and the Austalorps look "their age"?

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think they look about right.

I have five 8 1/2 week old chicks and they are about that size with variations between the medium weighted breeds and heavier weighted breeds.

So I think you are right with the ages.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. davemonkey

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Thanks a bundle, Lady of McCamley. :)

Sad news to report though...the Buff Orp got taken yesterday evening, just before coop up, by a bird of prey. I thought it was safe...that there was plenty of cover, plenty adults to sound the alarm, etc....and I was wrong. [​IMG] It's out first casualty...and it just happened to be the ONE bird that we weren't even going to get, but my daughter hand-picked and begged for, and the lady gave it to her for free to be a pet "mama" bird. ARG!!!! (And it wan't even a hawk that got her...just a smaller species...a kestral or a kite).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I am so sorry to hear that.

Yes unfortunately those gold feathers stand out really well. Our only hawk loss was a pretty gold star. They especially like that size too.

I can recommend lots of bird netting over a run and locking your birds up for the next couple of days so the hawk gets frustrated and goes elsewhere or you will likely lose more if they find you an easy hunting ground.

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  8. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Sorry about the loss, we had a predator rip the fence and kill my favorite pullet :(

They look about right in comparison to the size my chickies were at that age :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by