Do these look like BR hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlolly, Jan 30, 2014.

1. chickenlolly

chickenlolly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    Ramona, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just concerned that my BR hens aren't all BR hens.
    Wanted to get other input on our chickens!
    (I know there's a SLW roo in there also)
    They are 15 weeks old. None are crowing that we know of...
    None are laying.
    I know the pics aren't great- but any thoughts will be good to know!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. JLfarm

JLfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    Yes they all look like hens to me. Where did u get them fron

3. chickenlolly

chickenlolly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    Ramona, CA
    Thank you for responding!
    I ordered them from Murray McMurray hatchery. I ordered 15- and then that extra SLW roo must have snuck in the box!
    Someone on another thread told me the SLW was poorly bred so I started wondering if my BR girls were normal!!

4. JLfarm

JLfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    If you ordered all pullets they should all be pullets but everyone makes mistakes but if there is more than 1 male you have a problem

5. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    The Barreds look like pullets to me. If they were ckls,they would have pointy feathers in the hackle and saddle like the Wyandotte. If they are 15 weeks old they should not be laying yet. Another 4-6 weeks look for eggs.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them look like hens to me.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You appear to have Barred Rocks, all pullets. Cockerels would be lighter in color and have larger, redder combs by this age.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are all females.

As far as the quality of the breeding or being poorly bred, frankly, when you order from a hatchery the breeding just is what it is. The Barred Rocks are no better or worse bred than the SLW.

Hatcheries mass produce birds, it is just their business model. They sell inexpensive, healthy, vaccinated, and ship to your local post office at a reasonable cost. That's their business model.

Are they well bred? Honestly? no. That's not really what hatcheries do. If they're healthy and function well for you, than it's all good.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I love this picture....does anyone else start singing "One of these things is not like the others..."? [​IMG]

You have perfectly normal hatchery barred Rock pullets. I've had lots of these birds and just love them. They're great layers, fairly calm birds, don't eat me out of house and home, and I love the coloring. Plus, I can hatch sex links from them, and that just tickles me to death!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by