Do these look like pure silkies to you?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheHappyFarm, May 2, 2016.

1. TheHappyFarm

TheHappyFarm New Egg

May 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hiya, just wondering whether my breeding pair look like pure silkies and if so what is their colour called and could they have produced a pure white chick or is that more likely to have come from my gold coloured pekin
    Thanks in advance

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Definitely nor pure, they have "normal" feathering so they can't be. No, I don't think they would produce a pure white chick.

3. TheHappyFarm

TheHappyFarm New Egg

May 2, 2016
    Thank you, the hen does have a 'wig' on her head, any ideas on what breed they look like, or do you think just mixed

4. TheHappyFarm

TheHappyFarm New Egg

May 2, 2016
    should have added they are a little wet which is y her fluff is stuck together haha

5. WildHens

WildHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    Can u get a closer pic without the fence blocking the view? If they have crests (puff of feathers on top of their head) they could have silkie or polish in them..what color is their skin, how many toes and any leg feathers?

6. WildHens

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Silkie foot

[​IMG]
    Not best pic, but 2 silkies..

[​IMG]
    Polish

7. WildHens

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia
    I blew up your pic, and just based on your boys comb, I'd say they are maybe 1/4 Silkie? But u shouldn't get a white chick from the pair, but I'm dealing with my own issue of a chick hatching a color that shouldn't be possible from.its parents either but it's here..lol..so I may not be the best answer for the question

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You have a pair of mixed breeds. They do have silkie in them, but they aren't pure. You may get Silkie feathered chicks from them, since it's a recessive gene. But you're not going to get solid white chicks from that pair.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 Junebuggena

10. WildHens

Apr 1, 2016
    West Virginia

I'm going to PM u..someone suggested that you would have any idea on what color the chicks I've been getting are ♡

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by