Do these Orp hens look close to laying? *UPDATED SHE LAID AN EGG!!!!*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaintedMeadows, Oct 7, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    They are just over 16 weeks but for the past 2 weeks these ladies have been growing waddles and combs and getting really pink. This morning their combs were both red. Their sisters still have no combs or waddles and are pale pink. What do you think?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine waited til about 26-28 weeks to start laying, so - nope.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ya mine looked like that too and I thought they were getting close but they are now 20 weeks and still noda! I hope soon! Good luck to you but I think you have a few weeks to wait yet [​IMG] Sorry.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had one that looked like this and didn't start laying for about a month after this picture was taken:

[​IMG]

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I've got two with the same hatch date. One has a bigger redder comb like yours and has been laying for about 3 weeks. The other still has a tiny pale comb and doesn't lay yet. I've come to decide they lay when they're darn good and ready. Sigh...

6. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    tee hee OK, so I guess I am just getting excited. At least I don't have to wait as long for eggs as I have to wait for my foals! lol. 11 months would kill me! lol. Thanks everyone.

7. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    PotterWAtch i had a br who looked just like that at a month before laying, that hens name wouldnt happen to be lucky, or is that just Hermione

8. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope Im not intruding on this thread, but does redder combs and waddles indicate maturity in hen? Is that what you are all saying?

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My buff orpington hens developed bright red waddles and combs about a month before they started to lay. My first egg came from a buff orpington hen that was 18 weeks and 4 days old.

I hope Im not intruding on this thread, but does redder combs and waddles indicate maturity in hen? Is that what you are all saying?

Yes, but about a month away, at least for my hens.​

10. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Not only will the combs and wattles be very red when they are ready to lay, but watch for "fullness" which means the combs and wattles will be plumped up, full, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by