Do these Silkie eggs have a chance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whimsical Farming Wife, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Whimsical Farming Wife

Whimsical Farming Wife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    I have had a little silkie diligently sitting on 10 eggs up to day 14- but we have some extra warm weather (34 celcius) that just moved in, and she got off her eggs! She seems to go back to them periodically, including the evening. Is there a chance that she might still hatch them??
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    chances are good.

I had a broody hatch 2 with temps outside and in the coop at more than 110F.

During the hottest part of the day, she would get off of the nest or just stand over the eggs.
  3. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Yes! don't worry too much she knows what she is doing.
  4. Whimsical Farming Wife

Whimsical Farming Wife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx guys! You have renewed my faith. [​IMG]
  5. CheshieChick13

CheshieChick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

I actually recently read in a book that the hen instinctivly knows when to get off the eggs if humidity or heat becomes to high. It said they will do that in very hot weather. According to that book I think your chickies may have a good chance [​IMG]
  6. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    My girls got off their eggs after five hatched and they still had five left - I brought them in, which was a HUGE mistake. Three weren't even fertile, but the other two hatched and died very quickly indoors after I put them in the incubator. I was SO MAD AT MYSELF!!!
  7. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    with a silkie i would say there is every chance all is fine. they are one the best brooding hens i have ever seen, so like the rest i would agree that she is just doing what is best for the eggs and the fact she dosnt go far and keeps poping back especialy at night i would say there is a good chance. your main problem may be that the outside temp is too high, but i cant realy comment as being from the UK we only dream of temps like that [​IMG] so i dont have alot of experiance of weather being too hot
  8. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    My silkie must be the exception to the rule because she was broody twice and left the nest twice-once with 4 fertile eggs that I hatched in the incubator, and then left the nest with 2 babies hatched and 3 fertile eggs that didn't make it. Anyway, the fact that your hen is returning to the nest is very encouraging. Good luck !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by