Do they die from fear?

beverly0223

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
I know from experience that a bantam can sometimes freeze up and seem comatose (dead) after being attacked by other chickens, on two occasions, but then "woke-up" and was fine shortly after I picked him up and coddled him... but I have had several young chicks die mysteriously on me lately.... The first two could have been the cold snap I supposed, no injuries.... so I brought them in... a little cramped perhaps...? Large dog cages, one per "family", but now yesterday morning one dead and again this morning, another one.... again, no injuries I can see.... (we have had "murders" in other separate flocks... and one in this young flock as well... earlier on.) I just HATE this... I Love my babies and really want to know what is going on! Can they die of fear if attacked by other chickens? Hoping to find answers...Bev

How old are they and how cramped are they? If they're too small and too crowded they can get suffocated/squished trying to stay warm. It happens at the local feed store all of the time. As for dying from fear? I seriously doubt a healthy bird would, but one that was really sick might get stressed enough to go over the edge.

Can you send the chick to a state lab for a necropsy?

Yes.. How old are they as Coccidia is often a killer of young chickens. Symptoms are often sleeping more or eyes closed while standing around, weak, pale, puffed up in a corner, weight loss and sometimes bloody poo.

They're about 3 months old. there were 10 plus Mom in a 3 x 4' dog cage... There didn't seem to be any "symptoms" prior... They had just been fed, watered and "checked on" a short time prior. Yesterday they were fine and 1/2 hr later it was gone.... <3 breaking!

Yes, they can die of fear, but this is the exception rather than the rule. More than likely, something else is going on, but we need to know more about your set up and your birds to figure out what that may be.

Yes Janine, I hope so, this mornings baby was my Other favorite, the one from the First two deaths was my other... I DON'T want to lose any more!!!

Yes, they can die of fear, but this is the exception rather than the rule.  More than likely, something else is going on, but we need to know more about your set up and your birds to figure out what that may be.

I stand corrected. Personally, I haven't lost any that weren't already sick or injured. This article might be interesting to some: http://poultryone.com/articles/stress-html

Beverly, sorry for your losses. I know how hard it is.

Back
Top Bottom