Do they eat their own poop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherylcohen, Nov 6, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I've seen the girls in the hen house - where I never put food, pecking away at the pine shavings and whatever poo is in there and they eat something. Are they eating poo or pine shavings?

Is this okay?

2. luvbiddies

luvbiddies Out Of The Brooder

I saw mine eat poop too. Yuck, but they haven't died from eating it so I think it's ok.[​IMG]

3. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would have been better off not knowing.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Some folks use the DLM just to increase their flock's protein intake....yes, they do eat their own poop. And, in some CAFOs, their poop is fed to cattle and sheep for extra protein.

6. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    thanks for the advice so far....My girls get plenty of protein so I'm not worried about that...they can't possibly be bored so maybe it's just something they do

7. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:Me, too, Mahonri. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, especially while I'm eating my eggs.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Rabbits, yes, but I had not ever read that about chickens.

9. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    After one hen poos, another is right there to clean up after her. I really do not have too much poo in the coop or in their run and they are well fed, spoiled chickens so I do not understand their need to eat each others poo! Just grosses me out!! Of course, my beagle wants to eat their poo, too! YUCK! [​IMG]

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:Well, I think you've got that right.

My birds have plenty of grit to choose from but scratch seed often seems to go straight thru them.

Pigeons build nests with all this poop included. The babies eat some of that and you are NOT supposed to do anything to discourage it. Their parents feed them partially digested food (crop milk) and more fully digested food . . .

All a part of the natural diet . . . and yes, the chickens do eat some wood shavings, too. . . . dirt, composted stuff, fallen tree leaves, etc. etc. etc.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by