Do they ever just run away?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NicInNC, Oct 24, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    One of our favorite banties was missing when I went to let them out of the run. She was a bit of an escape artist and would occasionally somehow manage to fly out or dig out...yes, I said dig out. She would scratch in one area along their area and get out under the fence. She was a really tiny banty. When she would escape, she would mainly stay right around the run or she would go to the neighbors yard. We haven't seen her for 2 days now. Chicken hawks have been hanging around our yard and coyotes were also spotted.

I was hoping she just ran away, but I'm guessing that's a slim possibility, huh? We miss her.[​IMG]

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, sometimes they go off and hide, esp if they are going broody, but with predators around a lot, it doesn't look good. So sorry. [​IMG] We'll all be hoping that she turns up in the morning looking for some breakfast though.

3. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't have much more hope. [​IMG] Some neighbors helped us look for her two days ago (when she went missing) and there was no sign of her. I haven't seen any feathers or anything. My guess is she wandered off and something got her. She was so tiny....not much larger than a rat. We miss her so much.

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    so sorry, I'll be [​IMG] she'll return.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by