1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do they have a cold or some mucous build up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Some of my pullets have been breathing a bit strange for awhile. Their cheeks, um the place before the eyes and after the beak, poofs up when the breathe. Something I haven't seen on my other chickens. I can also hear them when they breathe too, that noise you get at night when your trying to sleep but your nose is really clogged up so it make that -bo bo bo bo- noise.
    And they have really wet sneezes. They don't make a little noise when they sneeze either, but you can hear the mucous stuff going splash.
    Umm their poop has been watery, or light brown and foamy. I haven't seen them poop normally that much. I've cleaned their nose holes too, sometimes they have dirt hardened there so I have to scrape it out. Any thoughts and what I can do to help?

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    This is a BUMP for you.

I recently used an antibotic avilable at the feedstores that is suppose to be good for respiratory illnesses.
    It is called tylan 50. It is injectable - - - so don't forget to get the needles. Although, I did use it orally . . . .

Hope someone with more experience in this matter come on here.

3. Super Chickenman

Super Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    It just dosen't seem like we can get many folks to weigh in on this one. I, too, have a chicken that sneezes a lot and you can hear her breathing as you described. Last summer, I gave them an antibiotic in the water for a couple of weeks. Didn't seem to make a difference. None of the other chickens have gotten it and she is my best layer. An egg a day (with an occasional skip) since July. Nothing I have done seems to have helped her. I don't think it is infections. None of the others have gotten it. I am puzzled.[​IMG] I have written on here a couple of times, but no one seems to have any answers.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If it is a continual issue with funny breathing, perhaps your chicken has a sinus infection or clog, Super Chickenman. i had a silkie that got something up her nose which went into her sinus cavity, which caused it to become infected and then her face swelled up. i had to have a vet put her under, scrape the infection out, and stitch her up. She was on antibiotics for a week and is fine now. i'm also wondering if your chicken has something like a deviated septum??? If it were some type of respiratory infection it should get better or worse, not stay the same. Could she be allergic to the bedding you use?

Moochie, it definitely sounds like your chickens have a respiratory infection. math ace is correct in that Tylan 50 is the best antibiotic to use for any respiratory infection. You can get it as an injectable, which can also be given orally. Be SUPER careful when giving it orally to make sure they don't aspirate and then they end up with pneumonia. Or you can get it as a water soluble to add to their water. Those are two different medicines so decide which is easiest for you to administer and then buy either the injectable or water soluble. It's a bit pricey, but the best thing to use. If their nasal discharge smells stinky, it may be infectious coryza. Otherwise, it could be mycoplamsa gallesepticum, which is curable, but your chickens would become carriers for life once cured. Depending on the number of chickens who are sick, it's best to isolate them in a warm dry place, and give them a heat lamp. When chickens are sick it helps to give them warmth so they can use their energy for healing, not keeping warm. i've used a warm air humidifier on my birds when they have had respiratory issues and it helps a lot. Extra healthy treats like scrambled or hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and greens help, also.

Here is a chart i found which might help with a diagnosis based on symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Sorry
    your chickens are sick! But most respiratory infections are curable. This is just a really bad time of year for chickens to get sick, when it's cold and wet outside.

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    very good ADVICE [​IMG]

6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Ah ok. Um as for keeping them in a pen or whatever with a heat lamp... We don't have a heat lamp or a something to put them in [​IMG] The weather also is rainy, windy, and foggy. So when things clear up outside I can ask my mom as what we can do. Plus I don't know the next time we're going to Lancaster or Palmdale, my mom gets grouchy about going to Van Dam Farms (or any store just to get one or two things) so I have to ask her if we're going to Costco or another one of those stores she spends hours at. Also there's no where outside that's warm or dry, I highly doubt my mom would consider using the garage, since there's a bunch of food stuff and a table, um if we don't use it for our malibu then it's basically a storage place for my mother's kimchi and what not. Well, under the part where they sleep may be dry and we have wood covering half of the run (not really considered a run). But at least I know what's the matter and when we have time I could persuade my mom to help them get better.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Are you able to order it online? Amazon has the water soluble and the injectable. If not, or if you can't afford it, then just make your coop as warm and dry as possible. Clean dry bedding is good. Maybe wrap your run in tarps or plastic sheeting to keep the wind off them.

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Uh no... My parents stopped ordering stuff online cuz last time something happened with my dad's credit card.

9. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Most respiratory infection/diseases are NOT curable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by