1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do they look any better/healthier?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beach livin', Nov 6, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i would hope they do. we have had them on a ballanced diet of layer feed and kitchen scraps. they originally got no layer feed. they were free ranging and ate alot of cracked corn from previous owner. so do they look any better. and do they look egg bearing yet? i think they are getting redder in the face, but maybe its just me wanting them to look that way [​IMG]
    sorry the quality is so bad; we only have the video camera to take still photos right now. im hinting around to hubby that i want a new camera. we will see if santa brings one.

When we got them
    [​IMG]

today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They do look healthy. I think they look better. Looks like it'll be a bit before laying, no combs are close to red enough. But they could be getting redder, they're just not there yet.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

They look great!

4. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    yeah, i think we still have a good month or so before i see an egg. the faces are getting red and the wattles are appearing. the crest are still very small, so i dont know if that has anything to do with them being "muts". the roo was a RIR and hen was a BO, so this is what their kids look like [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    they look much better...well done!

[​IMG]

6. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    It's amazing what a little bit of food will do for them.

These buff orpingtons are the same age, 6 months. The one on the left is not laying, the one on the right is laying.

Front view:
    [​IMG]

Side view:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    They look so much better! Great job taking care of them. I too would say you've got a bit more waiting for eggs, but it will be so worth the wait.

8. littleluciex

littleluciex Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Wauchula
    I think they look healthier, and happier [​IMG]

9. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Well, they didn't look that bad when you got them, just developing juvelines, not fully feathered out. But now, they're almost to egg laying age, and well matured, well filled out. You've got some lovely hens!

I had a healthy hen who lived 9 years who would not for the life of her eat any laying crumbles. She only ate scraps, scratch, dog food, and free-range every day. And she layed almost for the nine years, as well. Died at 9 of her last moult. And she was very healthy, beautiful (except during a moult!) and hardy. So I think that a 'perfect' diet is quite a bit of bunk - - - - sorry!

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    They look perfectly healthy to me. Not ready to lay yet and maybe not until spring. Here's my girl about a month before she laid her first egg.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by