1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do they look ready?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Jan 26, 2012.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Cochins are 9 months old now, and they show no intrest in sharing any eggs with me :( I've seen my cockerals mating the girls that are already laying. I've also seen the grab a few of the Cochin girls, then the girls start fussing and the boys just back off and look at them like they've lost their minds. Here are some pictures of a few of them, they all pretty much look the same comb and wattle wise. Do you think I'll get any eggs soon? At this point I would be happy if just one or two of them were laying
    [​IMG]
    This is Mable
    [​IMG]
    And her sister, Blanche
    [​IMG]
    Frack, who also has a twin sister that looks exactly the same
    [​IMG]
    Adele
    [​IMG]
    Mary Catherine
    [​IMG]
    The EE in the middle has been laying for a little over a month, she's the same age
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And because I love them, the handsome fellas that look after the free loaders, Captain Caknuckles and Flapjack.

2. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    They look ready to me. Their combs are a nice dark red....... and they are 9 months old !!!! It's about time you see some eggs [​IMG]
    I wouldn't have the patience to wait 9 month for a egg [​IMG]

3. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    LOVE the first picture !!!!

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    That first picture looks like it should have NO EGGS FOR YOU! in flashing neon lights printed on it. I have no idea if they are ready, but we put lights in our coop when one of the girls started laying and no one else decided to follow her lead. Worked like a charm!
    Of course, I also picked everyone else up to show hem Miss fury and what a good chicken she was and told them to hurry up, maybe that did it instead ; )

5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Thank you! I've never had to wait this long for eggs. They're taking forEVAR! I snapped that first pic just in time, Ms. Mabel was in the process of trying to eat all the shiney things on my camera :D

6. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Have your girls started laying yet? I was on here looking for answers as to why my chickens have yet to lay an egg when I came across your thread. I am also in VA so we have the same weather, etc. This is my first flock ever. I have 7 lavender Orpingtons that were hatched in beginning of last June so they are almost 9 months also. I then have two splash Orpingtons that were hatched july and aug so they are about 7 or 8 months.... Getting louder, getting redder, getting mounted by they same aged cockerels but running away.... Still no eggs.... Uggggg!

By the way, I broke down and installed a light in the coop and have been running it for a week. Still nothing.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    They sure look ready!! Shouldn't be too much of a wait now. [​IMG]By the way you have very pretty girls there!

8. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn

Stormylady: thank you very much, I just love my girls!

Curranchickens: sorry it took me a couple of days to find this! Obviously I started this post over a month ago :) just this past week a few of the Cochin girls started laying. Ms. Mable was the very first to give me an egg, she was followed by Frick and Frack and I still have another I haven't caught in the act yet. Considering I'm feeding 17 Cochin ladies, they've got some making up to do. But some eggs are better then none, I suppose. I'm actually not too far from Fredricksburg, so, hey there neighbor!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by