Do they make Med starter in a crumble or a pellet? what happens if My laying hens get into it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Joe.G, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Do they make Med starter in a crumble or a pellet? what happens if My laying hens get into it?

2. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I think starter only comes in crumble but I could be wrong. I don't think it would hurt laying hens but ask at your farm store to make sure. Hopefully someone more experienced than I will be able to answer this question.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I can only get starter in crumbles.
    I have not worried about the hens getting into it.

If you are worried then you could use un medicated.

Imp- I have found the un med is very expensive. Don't know why. 5# un med is almost the same as 25# med starter.

4. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Can I eat the eggs if the hens get into the med stuff?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Check your feed tag. It will list the medication(s) in the feed. The main one is a coccidiostat and will not affect the eggs. If there are antibiotics In the feed, withdrawal times will be stated on the tag.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. ericsplls

ericsplls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    I usually go unmedicated but have sat a pallet up on bricks and put the medicated chick starter under there. I put the feeder for the layers on top of the pallet. By the time the chicks get big enough to get up on the pallet I switch to flockraiser.

7. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I got another 50 LB bag of Med Starter and a 50 Lb of Flock Raiser Pellet, figured I ll mix the starter in with the other when to finish the bag when they get older.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are different types of cocci blocker, but I've never personally seen anti-biotics in feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by