Do they need a run?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rjrinehart, Mar 6, 2017.

1. rjrinehart

rjrinehart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    Southeast Tennessee
    Do you need a run for quails? Or is just a hutch with room to run around in sufficient?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

They don't need a run, but they do enjoy as much space as you can afford. And going outside into a run, dust bathing in the dirt, are all favorite things to do for a quail.

However yes, you can just keep them in a hutch as long as they have enough space per bird. And I like to add fake or real foliage to a hutch to give it a more natural feeling. Quail LOVE to hang out under brush and such, it gives them privacy from the others and gives them a sense of protection. Also keeps them from flushing up into the ceiling. I use grass hay in my hutches too, easy to clean and keeps them off wire.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. rjrinehart

Mar 6, 2017
    Southeast Tennessee
    Thank you!

If I'm building a 32" wide x 10ft long x 2ft high hutch how many babies can I have?

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

Coturnix Quail? You can easily keep about 15 birds in this space. Make sure to keep only all hens or only 1 male with hens in this space. 2 males probably wont work here.

5. rjrinehart

Mar 6, 2017
    Southeast Tennessee

Yes I want to eventually breed. So I'll probably also have a male too. What happens once I have chicks and there is a male(s) in that other than the first male?

6. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I wouldn't build one that deep Unless you have really long arms. I build all of mine 24" deep by 10 ft and 10" tall. Figure 1 bird per sq. foot and they will have plenty of room. If you are going to breed quail later I would divide your cage into 3 or 4 compartments.

7. rjrinehart

Mar 6, 2017
    Southeast Tennessee

Probably a dumb question but how much is a square foot exactly?

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    1 square foot is a square that is 1 foot deep and 1 foot across. 2 square feet is the same, 2 feet across, 2 feet deep.

Quail generally dont go broody, so you will need an incubator. Chicks will need to be mature to mix into an adult flock. Do this slowly with a divider in the hutch, everybody sees, nobody touches for a couple weeks, then you can mix them.

9. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    2 ft across and 2 ft deep is 4 sq feet. Not 2

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  10. rjrinehart

Mar 6, 2017
    Southeast Tennessee

So one bird to one square foot.

And thanks @twocrows I was trying to figure out how to put chicks into the bigger flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by